//Household Holiday Decor Hazardous to Pets

Household Holiday Decor Hazardous to Pets

Shining decorations, bright lights and sweet treats—these are the hallmarks of the holiday season, but can also pose hazards for pets.  Over the next few blog posts I’ll uncover what seemingly innocent holiday items could be dangerous.  In this post I cover the top 5 decorating hazards for our pets.

Top 5 Decorating Hazards

  1. Poisonous Pine Tree Water

    Will you have a live Christmas tree?  Pine tree water can be poisonous, so it is best to use an enclosed tree stand. If that is not possible, be sure to cover open tree stand bases.

  2. Pretty but Poisonous Plants

    Holiday plants that are poisonous to pets include the berries of the mistletoe, holly, hibiscus, Christmas roses and the poinsettia. Keep them out of pets’ reach.

  3. Decorations, Lights and Cords…Oh My!

    Ingesting—or even simply coming in contact with—ornaments and hooks, twinkling lights and electrical wiring can pose significant danger to pets. When no one will be around to supervise, unplug lights and any electrical decorations a pet has access to. Cover or tack down electrical cords.

  4. Play Keep Away

    To avoid pets being burned or causing a fire hazard, keep them away from any room containing a lit Hanukkah menorah or holiday candle.

  5. No Tippy Trees

    Secure the tree to the wall with strong wire or twine, so it won’t topple and cause serious injuries to pets.

By |2018-12-10T21:55:42+00:00December 10th, 2018|Health & Wellness|0 Comments

About the Author:

Laurie is the owner/operator of Adventure Tails Dog Walking Service. She loooves dogs so much she started a business to spend more time with them, and care for them. Laurie lives in Peterborough with her family, including a beautiful Black Lab named Tulo. In her spare time she enjoys spending time at her family's cottage, cycling, outings with friends, and sharing giggles with her pre-schooler.

Leave A Comment