It feels like it’s officially winter in Peterborough! Whether you greet winter with a grumble or hooray, as the weather turns cold, it’s important to consider how seasonal changes affect our pets. Here are my top 5 tips to keep Fluffy and Fido safe and happy during the cold winter months.
- Keep pets inside as much as possible. Young pets, old pets and short-haired pets are more vulnerable to cold weather and should not be left outside unsupervised.
- Ice-melting chemicals and salt can irritate and burn the pads of your pet’s paws. Thoroughly wipe off your pet’s paws once it has returned inside.
- Clip the long hair on the bottom of your dog’s feet to prevent buildup of ice balls that can be painful and difficult to remove.
- Trim nails regularly. It is difficult to maintain solid footing with long nails in icy conditions.
- Antifreeze is poisonous. Be sure to thoroughly clean up any spills and store household chemicals out of your pet’s reach. Consider using products that contain propylene glycol rather than ethylene glycol.
Now that you’re prepared, get outside and have some winter fun with your furry friend!!
Photo by Daniel Frank from Pexels